Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Anatomy of a salad

I have been making this salad daily for over a month now.  My own coach was posting her meals in one of our accountability groups, and she had this giant salad, with pepitas and cranberries for dinner.  Why had I not been doing this??  I have had great salads at restaurants before, of course, but I had somehow forgotten how fun and interesting salads can be.  So....here is what I came up with.  Romaine lettuce, carrots, celery (thinly sliced), diced pink lady apple, chopped walnuts, pepitas (pumpkin seeds), a piece of real bacon (crumbled), and a homemade dressing I'll tell you about in a minute.  Blue cheese crumbles or goat cheese would be amazing, but I can't have dairy, so bacon is my salty add on.

Now, I will say that I have a pretty high tolerance for repeated meals.  I eat a lot of the same things every week.  But I have had this salad, or something very close, every single day.  For weeks and weeks.  And I look forward to it every single day.  If you're in one of my 21 Day Fix groups, everything is allowed (except they recommend turkey bacon instead of regular), so just measure using your containers.  I have added roasted chicken to it, and that was delicious.  It's just the perfect mix of sweet, salty, crunchy, and chewy.  It's a lot of food, too, so you feel like you're really getting to eat a lot.  Which is always fun.  I prep all the veggies and fruit, so you can throw it together very quickly.  Oh, and here's the dressing.  Forgive me for not having real measurements, but I literally pour these by hand into a glass jar I reuse for dressing - 2 parts olive oil, 2 parts balsamic vinegar, 1 part spicy brown mustard, 1/2 part honey.  You can adjust that to taste, or even try adding herbs.  It's just a nice, sweet and tangy dressing that is totally natural.  I was so disappointed with all the dressings I found at the store - even at Whole Foods.  So, I just make my own.  And there you have it.  The perfect salad.  Now, go make your own!



Need help with your health and fitness journey?  Contact me HERE!


No comments:

Post a Comment