Thursday, August 7, 2014

Baby Steps

If you follow me on Facebook, you know my sweet, baby girl just took her first steps recently.  It's a pretty fun and exciting time to be a parent.  There is nothing quite like watching your children learn something brand new about themselves or the world.  Watching them light up.

Baby steps as an adult are not usually as fun.  I know my husband had to take a few when he was diagnosed with diabetes (and so did I, as his wife), and I recently did when I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's.  We didn't have our parents there, clapping and cheering for our every, little step.  Sometimes, it feels overly hard, and like we're the only ones going through tough times.

But then, I think back to my baby girl.  She has fallen a lot more times than she has taken a step.  Yet, she doesn't stop trying to walk.  It doesn't cross her mind to quit.  That drive to move forward is in her, even as a one-year-old baby.  She could just keep crawling forever.  She's more efficient at it.  It's more comfortable.  But she sees all of us walking, and has decided she will do the same.  Amazing, really.  When do we lose that as adults?  Why do we give up?  

We all get knocked down sometimes.  Might be your health or the health of someone you love, or losing a job, or moving across the country where you don't know anyone.  Change is scary.  Life is scary.  But I think I'm starting to be more comfortable with the discomfort that growth brings.  I want to become a better person, and move toward my goals, and the only way to do that, is to lose the fear and take the baby steps.  I'll run eventually.

Stay hopeful, friends.

~J-L

No comments:

Post a Comment