Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Healthy Pizza Muffins (say what?!)

It's not even Muffin Monday, but I couldn't wait to share this recipe.  It's based on a low carb pizza crust that I make a lot (how-to video here).  I was brainstorming things to make for Luke to take in his lunch box, and this just came to me.  A pizza muffin vision from above.  I just took the ingredients for the crust, and added in the cheese and toppings, then put it in a silicone muffin pan (this is the kind I have).  Dip them in pizza sauce, and thank me later.  Low carb, high protein, high fiber, grain-free, gluten free, full of healthy fat....oh yes.  They are real.  I give you, the Healthy Pizza Muffin.





Ingredients
3 T butter (or olive oil, or coconut oil)
3 eggs
3/8 cup almond meal
3/8 cup flax meal
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt (optional, depending on toppings)
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Toppings of choice (I used browned Italian sausage crumbles and mini pepperoni)

Directions
1) In a glass pyrex, melt the butter or coconut oil (no need to melt olive oil).
2) Add remaining ingredients, in order.  Just stir 'em all up with a fork.  Kids can help.
3) Pour into silicone muffin pans (makes 12 muffins).
4) Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes (test to make sure they are done in the middle)

These can be made ahead of time and eaten cold, room temp, or reheated in the toaster oven (yum).  Dip in your favorite pizza sauce.  You're welcome.

Need help with your health and fitness journey?  Contact me HERE!  I would love to work with you!

2 comments: