Friday, July 18, 2014

When life gives you lemons...



When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade…right?  Or you take the lemon, squeeze the juice out, it gets on the paper cut you got earlier, and you throw a pity party for yourself.  That’s kind of how I was feeling yesterday.  I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis.  I’ve known I had a “thyroid issue” for a few years now, but I finally started having enough skin issues to make me dig deeper into what was going on in my body.  Basically, my immune system is attacking my thyroid.  Yay.  Ain’t life grand?  Between Matt having Type 1 Diabetes and me having this, we are just one big, happy, autoimmune family.  


Honestly, it was a huge blessing that I knew so much about nutrition from studying diabetes and low carb/paleo diet stuff, that it was not a shock when my doctor told me I would also need to avoid gluten, dairy, and soy….FOREVER.  I’m seven weeks in now, and it hasn’t been terrible.  But there have been some sad moments, and some pity parties.  Yesterday was one of those days.  Soy is in EVERYTHING, in case you didn’t know.  Just start reading labels, and you’ll be pretty shocked.  I thought I knew a lot about labels, but I’ve been dissecting them at a whole new level lately.  And man, soy has really invaded the American diet.  But I digress…


I’ve been going to a wonderful Bible study with some other moms this summer, and we were just discussing this week how there are days we just feel empty.  We keep looking for something to fill the void (mainly stuff, things, “me time”…), but we usually come up dry.  I was feeling pretty spent last night, when I heard my baby girl crying in her crib.  Sometimes I let her cry it out – she was very tired…probably over tired.  But I had sympathy for her last night.  She was sad, and I could make it better.  So, I did.  And it was the highlight of my day.  I just gave her a small bottle, rocked her, and played a little game where we leaned our heads together until our foreheads touched.  And it was wonderful.  My lemonade for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment